Thursday, September 23, 2010

Eclair, You Stole My Heart!

    Eclairs- So eclair is a french word, so clearly it originated in France. Its said to have originated during the 19th century, the date isn't specific, but it was probably before 1860. 1860 was the year the word first appeared both I English and in French. It is said that Antonin Carême, “the” famous French chef, was the first to make these delightful pastries.
    So the word Eclair is French for “lightening”; it's not really shaped like lightening, but I get the correlation. Eclairs are very traditional meaning there are not to many ways to make them and still call them eclairs. An eclair is made with pate choux dough, which is also used to make profiteroles (cream puffs) and other treats. The oblong shell of an eclair is piped through a piping bag and backed until its golden brown and hollow in the middle. It is then cooled and filled with a traditional pastry cream filling, either plain, chocolate, or coffee flavored. Once the eclairs are cooled and filled, they are coated in a chocolate fondant icing.
    I remember my first eclair; I was 13, and it wasn't very good, but I fell for the idea of the eclair. The pastry cream was starchy and the fondant was anything but good, but I knew this dessert had potential to be better. Eventually, I had an amazing eclair my high school chef made, and that was it, I was a slave to this dessert. There was no turning back from that point, and I never plan on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment